What is Preventative Maintenance?
Preventative maintenance is the regular and or routine maintenance of your vehicle. This is done to keep you vehicle running and to prevent breakdown. All vehicles have normal and severe maintenance schedules in the owner’s manual. If you have any questions on maintenance stop by we can look it up.
Why do my brakes squeak?
1. If you’re hearing a continuous high-pitch noise while you’re driving it can be the sound of the built-in wear indicator telling you that it’s time for new brake pads. As brake pads wear down the small metal tab called a wear indicator is in contact with the brake rotor. This may require you to change the brake pads and possibly of brake rotors.
2. A squeak noise may turn into a grinding noise. This occurs when the brake pads completely wear out and the pad starts to grind into the brake rotor.
3. Most squeaks require a brake inspection. A simple cleaning, lubrication or adjustment of the brake system may solve the issue. Brake noise is caused by worn or loose parts.
Call us for an appointment to check out that unknown noise.
Why is my check engine light on?
A check engine can come on for many reasons. It can come on for something as simple as a loose gas cap. It also can pop up for issue with the engines performance. The check engine light is an important part of your vehicles on-board diagnostic system. When your check engine light turns on see your automotive Technician for the proper diagnosis
What are the most common causes of flat tire?
1. The most common cause of a flat tire is by a puncture due to a sharp object, such as nails or glass.
2. Valve stem leaking or valve core issue are common causes of tire problems.
3. Sometimes, air will leak from the tire bead, which is the edge of the tire that rests on the rim. This leak can cause the tire to become flat over time.
When should i have my timing belt changed?
In most cases, there are no obvious signs the timing belt is near its end of life; it can break, lose teeth or jump its timing. That’s why highly rated auto mechanics recommend replacing it every 60,000 to 105,000 miles based on the vehicle’s factory recommended maintenance schedule. Check your vehicles manual for information on your vehicles timing belt.
When do i need to replace my belts and hoses?
Every oil change you should have your Technician check your belts and hoses. Belts and hoses are made of rubber and have a tendency to crack and break due to contact with heat, cold, and fluids. Having a belt or hose fail can cause serious and expensive repairs. V-belts should be replaced every three to four year or 40,000 to 50,000 miles. Check your owner manual for information on your vehicles maintenance schedule.
What maintenance should I be doing and when?
Every vehicle has a regular scheduled maintenance schedule. It is important to follow the manufactures’ guidelines. Here are a few tips to keep your vehicle in tip top shape.
1. Take care of your tires. Check tire pressure, Rotate tires every 5,000-8,000 miles, inspect for uneven wear (alignment issues) and for cracking and dry rot. Don’t forget to check your spare tire.
2. Check fluids. Change oil per manufactures’ specifications and make sure to check antifreeze, transmission fluid, power steering and brake fluid.
3. Check battery. Batteries have a life of about 4 years.
4. Check all your exterior and interior lights regularly.
5. Get an annual checkup. Technicians will take a close look at the vehicles filters, brake system, front suspension, and maintenance schedule. This will insure that your vehicle is being properly maintained.
When do i need to replace my belts and hoses?
Difficulty starting your engine can be a sign that your car needs a tune up. Other issues that indicate you may need a tune-up would be
1. Engine stalling
2. Strange noises
3. Check engine light
4. Increase fuel consumption
Call a trained Technician if you have any of these issues.
How should I prepare my car for winter?
There are several things you should do to prepare your vehicle for winter.
1. Check your tires. Make sure they are properly inflated and the tread depth is good. You may want to consider snow tires depending on the climate.
2. Check your battery. Starting you vehicle in the winter maybe a challenge if your vehicles battery is weak. Make sure you have the correct battery and its testing good.
3. Check your antifreeze. Antifreeze keeps your engine from freezing during the winter months.
4. Use winter windshield wiper fluid and check your wiper blades. Nothing is worse than getting caught in a snow storm and your wiper blades not working correctly. Also, not all wiper fluid is the same, so make sure you have the winter blend in your container.
These are easy steps to make sure your vehicle is ready to tackle the weather.
How should I prepare my car for a road trip?
A vehicle check up is always good before you take a trip. Things to consider is vehicle make, model, mileage, and where you’re traveling to. The best advice will be from your professional Technician to evaluate your vehicles performance for the trip your taking.